Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
This off-roader emphasizes rock-crawling over highway comfort, and when it comes to hard-core trailblazing, it's rarely matched. Body styles include the two-door four-seat Wrangler and four-door five-seat Wrangler Unlimited. Competitors include the Nissan Xterra and Toyota FJ Cruiser.
New for 2013
The 2013 Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited get new front and rear seats that are more supportive, according to Jeep. Additional interior changes include a newly standard auto-dimming rearview mirror with LED map lights, and an Alpine premium stereo is available. The Wrangler Unlimited's soft-top is easier to raise or lower, Jeep says, and a new premium soft-top is available. It features upscale material and three layers for a quieter cabin.
A new limited-edition Moab version also debuts for 2013. Based on the Sahara model of the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited, it features 17-inch gloss-black alloy wheels fitted with off-road tires, a Trak-Lok rear differential (electronic rear locking differential available), a power-dome hood, rock rails, taillight guards, black bumpers, a premium soft-top, and Moab decals. Inside, there are premium leather seats with black stitching, more Moab graphics, Mopar floormats and gray trim pieces.
An available three-panel hardtop has removable sections above the driver, front passenger and rear passengers. The hardtop is body-colored on Sahara and Rubicon models, black on others. The side doors, available as full or half-size, are removable, and the windshield can be folded down. Exterior features include:
- Standard 16-inch steel wheels
- Optional 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- Optional 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- Standard full-size matching spare tire mounted on rear gate
The vertical center control panel sports a high-mounted stereo, circular air vents underneath and climate controls below. The Wrangler also has a floor console with front and rear cupholders and a locking storage bin. Interior features include:
- Standard cloth or optional leather seats
- Optional heated front seats
- Standard CD stereo with MP3 jack
- Optional household power outlet
- Optional air conditioning
- Optional power windows and locks
- Optional navigation system
- Optional Alpine premium stereo
Under the Hood
The Wrangler's 3.6-liter V-6 engine makes 285 horsepower and 260 pounds-feet of torque. Off-road mainstays include a non-independent suspension (solid front and rear axles) and a part-time four-wheel-drive system with available dual locking differentials.
Other features include underbody skid plates, an available tow package with trailer-sway control and an available electronically disconnecting front stabilizer bar. Mechanical features include:
- Standard six-speed manual transmission
- Optional five-speed automatic
- Three available axle ratios
- Engine uses regular gas
- Four-wheel-disc brakes
The Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited have a standard electronic stability system with Chrysler's rollover mitigation technology, which can pulse individual brakes in an attempt to prevent a rollover. Front-seat side-impact airbags are optional. Side curtain airbags aren't offered. Standard safety features include:
- Antilock braking system with on- and off-road calibrations
- Brake assist
- Sentry Key that immobilizes the engine in a theft attempt
- All-speed traction control