The compact Chevrolet Sonic replaced the Aveo and competes with the Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. Like the Fiesta and Versa, the Sonic is available in sedan and hatchback body styles.
The Sonic has aggressive exterior and interior styling. Engine choices are the same ones you'll find in the larger Chevrolet Cruze, including a turbocharged offering. A sporty RS hatchback model of the Sonic is also available.
New for 2013
An all-new RS trim model joins the Sonic family for 2013. Available only as a hatchback, the Sonic RS features exterior enhancements like a ground effects kit for both bumpers and side skirts, 17-inch wheels, a rear spoiler and darker mirrors. Inside, the Sonic gets premium quality leather and large side bolsters for the seats.
Other changes for 2013 include a Connectivity & Cruise Package for the Sonic LT that includes cruise control, steering-wheel audio controls, Bluetooth connectivity and a USB port/secondary auxiliary jack. Remote start is also now standard on LT models equipped with the automatic transmission.
Chevrolet says it took design inspiration for the headlights from the motorcycle world. The Sonic's hunkered-down, raked stance adds to its aggressive looks. Exterior features include:
- Five-door hatchback or four-door sedan
- Standard 15-inch steel wheels with covers, optional 15-, 16- and 17-inch alloy wheels
- Available rear spoiler and fog lamps
- Available power side mirrors
- Available power moonroof
Like the outside, the inside takes inspiration from motorcycles, Chevrolet says. The instrument cluster is one of the more identifiable products of that approach, attaching a digital LCD readout to an analog speedometer.
Trunk space for the sedan is 14 cubic feet. The hatchback sees added cargo room behind the rear seats. Interior features include:
- Available power windows
- Standard power locks and air conditioning
- Standard steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
- Cloth seats standard; leatherette or imitation leather available with optional front-seat heating
- Optional six-speaker premium audio system with available MyLink entertainment and information system
- Available remote start
Under the Hood
Mechanical features include:
- 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine makes 138 horsepower and 125 pounds-feet of torque
- Optional turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder makes 138 hp and 148 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission (1.8-liter four-cylinder)
- Six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission (turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder)
Safety Features include:
- Front disc/rear/drum anitlock brakes
- 10 standard airbags
- Hill Start assit
- Electronic stability control